|You are covered under this Section only if you have paid an additional premium and ‘Office Contents’ is shown in your schedule|
Words with Special Meanings
|The following definitions apply to this Section only and are in addition to the General Definitions.|
|Computers||Computers and ancillary equipment but excluding data or information entered by you or on your behalf.|
The contents of your office used in connection with your business which belong to you or for which you are legally responsible, including:
|Damage/damaged||Accidental loss, theft, destruction or damage.|
|Electronic data||Facts, concepts and information converted to a form useable for communications, display, distribution, interpretation or processing by electronic and electromechanical data processing or electronically controlled equipment and includes programs, software and other coded instructions for such equipment.|
|Glass||Fixed, plain or wired glass and mirrors at the office.|
|Money||Cash, bank and currency notes, cheques, travellers’ cheques, postal orders, money orders, crossed bankers’ drafts, current postage stamps, savings stamps and certificates, National Insurance stamps, trading stamps, gift tokens, customer redemption vouchers, company sales vouchers, credit card counterfoils, travellers’ tickets, VAT purchase receipts, contents of franking machines and, insofar as they are not otherwise insured, holiday-with-pay stamps and luncheon vouchers, for which you are responsible.|
|Office||Any location within the territorial limits occupied by you for the purpose of your business.|
|Personal effects||Articles worn, used or carried about the person, excluding cash, bank and currency notes and jewellery.|
What is covered
1. Office contents
We agree to indemnify you for damage to office contents, unless specifically excluded, occurring during the period of insurance.
2. Personal effects
We agree to indemnify you for damage to personal effects belonging to you or your partners, directors or employees whilst involved in the business anywhere in the world or visitors to the office; excluding:
- any amount in excess of £1,000 any one person;
- items more specifically insured elsewhere;
- the excess;
- theft from any unattended vehicle.
3. Office contents temporarily housed elsewhere
We agree to indemnify you for damage to office contents whilst temporarily housed elsewhere within the territorial limits during the period of insurance, excluding:
- mobile phones; and
- other portable equipment.
4. Office contents in transit
We agree to indemnify you for damage to office contents whilst in transit within the territorial limits, occurring during the period of insurance, excluding:
any damage due to:
- depreciation or deterioration unless caused by accident to the conveying vehicle;
- delay or loss of market;
- default in packing or addressing of any parcel or package;
- any consequential loss of any kind or description;
- any theft of office contents from any vehicle left unattended, unless such vehicle has all points of access closed and secured by all the locks and other protections and has all the keys removed from the vehicle;
- glass, livestock, precious metals or stones, jewellery, watches, furs, money, securities, stamps, documents, manuscripts, business books, plans or designs;
- items more specifically insured under this section or policy.
5. Lock replacement
We agree to indemnify you for the cost of replacement of locks, lock mechanisms and keys necessary to maintain the security of the office buildings following theft of keys involving force or violence from your director, partner or employee authorised to hold such keys during the period of insurance.
6. Building damage by theft
We agree to indemnify you for damage caused by thieves to the office buildings for which you are legally liable in connection with theft or attempted theft during the period of insurance.
7. Glass breakage
We agree to indemnify you for the reasonable and necessary costs you incur to repair or replace broken glass for which you are legally liable at the office building during the period of insurance.
The most we will pay in the period of insurance shown in your schedule will not exceed the sum insured shown in the schedule.
Basis of claims settlement
At our option we will repair, replace or pay for any lost or damaged items on the following basis:
- for contents, other than stock and samples or personal effects, the cost of repair or replacement as new;
- for stock and samples other than second hand stock or goods held in trust, the cost of repair or replacement at the cost price to you;
- for second hand stock, other than goods held in trust, the cost of repair or replacement at the trade market value;
for goods held in trust, the lesser of:
- your liability in respect of the goods held in trust;
- the cost of repair or replacement at the trade market value of such goods;
- for personal effects, the cost of repair or replacement as new, but not more than the amount shown in the schedule for each incident of loss.
If, at the start of the damage, the sum insured shown in the schedule for the office contents is less than the value of the office contents then the amount that we will pay you will be reduced in the same proportion.
What is not covered
The following exclusions apply to this section and are in addition to ‘Section 5: What is not covered’. We shall not be liable to indemnify you for:
- the excess;
damage caused by:
- wear and tear, inherent defect, rot, fungus, mould, vermin or infestation, or any gradually operating cause;
- dryness or humidity, being exposed to light or extreme temperatures, unless this is a result of storm or fire;
- coastal or river erosion;
- a rise in the water table;
- theft from an unattended vehicle unless the item is out of sight in a locked boot;
- frost, other than damage due to water leaking from burst pipes forming part of the permanent internal plumbing provided the office is occupied and in use;
- date recognition;
- a virus or hacker
- damage to property being cleaned, worked on or maintained;
- damage to any electrical or mechanical plant or equipment (other than computers) directly resulting from its own breakdown, explosion or collapse;
- breakdown of computers unless they are subject to a manufacturer’s guarantee or a maintenance contract providing free parts and labour in the event of a breakdown;
- glass that is cracked or broken at inception of the policy;
- commencement of this insurance until replaced by the Insured
- loss or distortion of information resulting from error or malfunction of computers;
- the value to you of any lost or distorted information;
pollution or contamination except damage to insured property which is not otherwise excluded and which is caused by:
- pollution or contamination which itself results from damage covered under this section, or
- damage which would otherwise be covered under this section which itself was caused by pollution or contamination;
- misuse, inadequate or inappropriate maintenance, faulty workmanship, defective design or the use of faulty materials;
- unexplained loss or disappearance or inventory shortage;
- loss due to clerical or accounting errors;
- loss by fraud or dishonesty of any of your partner(s), director(s) or employee(s);
- financial loss due to your parting with title or possession of property or rights to property prior to receiving payment in full;
- consequential loss(es).
The following conditions apply to this section and are in addition to ‘Section 7: General Conditions’.
There can be no abandonment of any property to us.
2. Security and Protection
You must take all reasonable steps to protect your portable equipment ensuring that the security measures whilst in the transport vehicle and all fire alarms, security systems and physical protections of any temporary storage location are in full operation.
3. In the event of damage to your portable business equipment, you must:
- notify the police if a law may have been broken;
- notify any third-party carrier of the insured property of any damage you discover within the time limits for notification of damage stipulated in your contract of carriage with them;
- give us prompt notice of the damage, including a description of how, when and where the damage occurred, and a description of the portable business equipment involved;
- take all reasonable steps to protect your portable business equipment from further damage and keep a record of your expenses necessary to protect such portable business equipment for consideration in the settlement of the claim. This will not increase the limit of indemnity;
- at our request, give us complete inventories of the damaged and undamaged portable business equipment to include quantities, costs, values and amount of loss claimed;
- as often as may be reasonably required, permit us to inspect the portable business equipment to prove the damage and examine your books and records;
- send us a signed, sworn proof of loss containing the information we request to investigate the claim within 60 days;
- cooperate with us in the investigation or settlement of the claim;
- provide access to any person(s) relevant to the investigation of the claim including, if we deem it necessary, you, your family, representatives, agents, employees or other persons having care, custody or control of the portable business equipment submitting to examinations under oath.