Our commitment to you
We pride ourselves in the high standard of service we offer our customers and are committed to ensuring there is never a need for complaint. However, should you feel that the service or product we offer has been less than satisfactory and wish to complain we value such feedback and will ensure your complaint is dealt with quickly and fairly.
Definition of a complaint
The FCA Handbook definition of a ‘complaint’ is “any oral or written expression of dissatisfaction, whether justified or not, from, or on behalf of, a direct client about the provision of, or failure to provide, a financial service, which (1) alleges that the complainant has suffered (or may suffer) financial loss, material distress or material inconvenience and (2) relates to an activity of that respondent, or of any other respondent with whom that respondent has some connection in marketing or providing financial services or products, which comes under the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service.”
Alternatively, if you do not want to make a complaint but you'd simply like to make a suggestion as to how we could improve our products, service or website we would appreciate your comments, which may be provided using the same contact details as above.
What we need to know
When contacting us regarding your complaint please provide the following information:
- Your policy number or ID number.
- Details of what went wrong. Please give us as much detail as possible. Where necessary please include the dates of your interactions with us and key events which are relevant to your complaint.
- How can we contact you? Just in case we need to speak to you further, please include some contact details and a preferred method of contact (e.g. phone or email).
- What outcome would you like? We know that sometimes an apology and recognition that we have not done as well as we might is all that may be required. At other times it can be far more that’s needed to put things right. Let us know how you think we could resolve the matter.
How to submit your complaint
- Phone us on 01305 839939
The easiest way to complain is simply to give us a call.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the information we have listed under ‘What we need to know’.
Write to us at:-
Westminster Insurance Ltd
5 Allberry Gardens
The response you can expect
- Westminster Insurance staff will always try their upmost to resolve your complaint immediately and you will receive an acknowledgment, and where possible a satisfactory settlement of the complaint, by the end of the next working day. If unable to resolve your complaint immediately, or further investigation is required, we undertake to inform you of this within five business days. You will also be given the name of the person who will be dealing with your complaint.
- The complaint will be recorded in our Complaint Register and we will open a file for it.
- If the complaint is about the policy or a claim, and we have reasonable grounds to consider the insurer or other third party firm responsible for the fault alleged in the complaint, then you may be advised to follow the complaints procedure set out in the policy, or referred on to that other firm.
- You will be informed of our response to your complaint and this referral in writing within five working days of us having decided that the other firm was responsible. This will include information regarding the other firm’s contact details
- The complaint shall be notified to the other firm within five working days of having decided the other firm was jointly responsible.
- You will be informed of our response to your complaint and this referral in writing within five working days of us having decided that the other firm was jointly responsible. This will include information regarding the other firm’s contact details
- The part of the alleged fault within the complaint which is considered our responsibility will be dealt with according to the steps outlined below
- We may ask the member of staff who acted for you to reply to the complaint within five working days
- We will examine their reply and the information within the complaint file and may then ask them for more information. This could take up to a further five working days from receiving their reply.
- Westminster Insurance hope to deal with the complaint at the earliest opportunity but in the unlikely event that your complaint has not been resolved within twenty working days of its receipt, we will write to you and let you know the reasons why and the further action we will take.
- If the complaint is sufficiently complicated to warrant longer investigation or it requires review of information or it requires review of information from a third party, then you will be advised accordingly.
- You will also be advised of a date by which you can expect to receive a final response; this date being no later than eight weeks after receipt of the complaint (excluding time waiting for any information requested from you, the complainant).
- Upon conclusion of our investigation we will write to you with a final response detailing the outcome of our investigation and detailing any remedial actions and/or offer of compensation if appropriate.
If you are dissatisfied with the manner in which we are handling your complaint or the final resolution then as your insurance is provided by Underwriters at Lloyd’s you are entitled to refer the matter to the Complaints team at Lloyd’s. Full details of Lloyd’s complaints procedures are available at www.lloyds.com/complaints and the Complaints team’s contact details are as follows:
Walter Burke Way
Kent ME4 4RN
Tel: 0207 327 5693
Fax: 0207 327 5225
The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
If you are unhappy with our decision, or if we do not complete our investigation within 8 weeks, you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Please note that if you wish to refer your complaint to the FOS this must be done within 6 months of our final response letter. The address for the FOS is:
Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London E14 9SR
Telephone: 0845 0801 800
By email: email@example.com
European Commission: Online Dispute Resolution
The European Commission has established an Online Dispute Resolution website for purchases made online.
The platform will send your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution Provider (in the UK it will be the UK Financial Ombudsman Service).
Westminster Insurance Ltd will keep full records of all complaints made against it for a minimum period of three years from the date of complaint. This will include the name of the complainant, the substance of the complaint and any correspondence between us, the complainant and any other third party firm, including any redress offered.
Complaints are reported to the Insurer and collated by Lloyd’s. They are also reported to the FCA as part of the half-yearly Retail Mediation Activities Return (RMAR). The Complaints Register is to be used as the principle source of information required for completion of the FCA complaints return.